AVGN Subs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

French Subs

+19
Biganon
stevenn33
DominiQC
MjoLniR
Temina
rizzen23
NicolasM
Morau
Edjemaster
François C
Juanako25
lienrag63
cobaltnightsky
coolman756
Rafiki
Rocko
Yannick Martin
BrendaLama
TechGuy691
23 posters

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

French Subs - Page 3 Empty Re: French Subs

Post  BrendaLama Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:20 pm

Juan : Aah,he said he would do the subtitles for the battletoads episode when we weren't organized yet.I think he didn't read everything we wrote here. I don't know if you should post them on youtube sunday,because nobody proofread him...
If you want,send them to my email address : [Only admins are allowed to see this link] and I'll tell you if they are good enough to be on youtube
BrendaLama
BrendaLama

Back to top Go down

Post  coolman756 Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:28 pm

No no, we just need to contact him. It would be a nice thing if he were in our team.

coolman756

Back to top Go down

Post  BrendaLama Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:34 pm

Of course,I didn't meant to exclude him .
Your solution is better Smile
BrendaLama
BrendaLama

Back to top Go down

Post  Juanako25 Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:35 pm

Here you have the SRT file he sent me:

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

Juanako25

Back to top Go down

Post  cobaltnightsky Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:15 pm

AVGN 74: plumbers don't wear ties timed and sync'ed!
that was a hell of episode (especially for my first SRT Very Happy )

BrendaLama will proofread it, hopefully I can give it for sunday

cobaltnightsky

Back to top Go down

Post  BrendaLama Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:04 am

The translation is pretty good,the timing seems okay... it has my seal of approval ! pig
BrendaLama
BrendaLama

Back to top Go down

Post  BrendaLama Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:12 am

I also read coolman's episodes,and they are also pretty good in my opinion !
Maybe for this time we should send everything we did,and after that do the 5 episode limit.

What do you think ?
BrendaLama
BrendaLama

Back to top Go down

Post  François C Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:33 am

Salut la compagnie,

I'm a 34 year old Belgian guy (French is my mother tongue, not Dutch). I'm very good at spelling, grammar and such and I'm equally good at understanding English, having lived in Scotland and Australia for a while.

I gotta say I am fond of the Nerd's colorful language and imaginative profanity. :-)
I really like his game reviews (can't wait to watch the movie !!) and would be happy to contribute subs to help French-speakers with limited understanding of English enjoy them. :-D
I can also proofread already submitted subs.

The downside is that I kind of suck at efficiently using computer programs, not being a geek in the least ; but I'm sure with some minor guidance I'll be able to do James' tests justice.

I haven't yet read all the previously posted comments in this thread (it's 2.30 AM here and I'm going to go to bed soon). I'll get my Belgian ass back here asap tomorrow and try to familiarize myself as to how you guys are willing to proceed with regards to subbing tests... that is if I don't decide to go have a look downtown for the launch of this year's Tour de France, since I live in Liège.

A la prochaine
François

Last edited by François C on Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:43 am; edited 1 time in total

François C

Back to top Go down

Post  BrendaLama Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:50 am

Welcome among us !
In a few words : if you have a PC,download VisualSub Sync,it's not difficult to undertstand how it works,and there are user guides online Like a Star @ heaven
and if you need help,just ask !

The Tour de France has begun ?! I forgot about that pig
BrendaLama
BrendaLama

Back to top Go down

Post  TechGuy691 Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:35 am

"The Sky" wrote: I AM BACK FROM THE DEAD! ... FOR NOW...

Hey guys,

Here comes a long ass post Razz.

cobaltnightsky wrote:I do agree on the concept, but are we enough to proceed like this? Neutral

So far, 5 translators are working on it. I haven't gotten news from Gaucelm, nor from Rocko (TechGuy, did you?).

I do agree on the concept, I am just wondering if we are enough to achieve this way.

First off, agreed, 100%. Quality over quantity. We need a few more people though. And... here comes the bad news.

Second, I have too much stuff to do, at the moment. Work, and family matter (cousin got a baby, family member passed away, and a few more things).

If I haven't been so busy, I would be working on the Castlevania Episodes right now. Apologizes for that.

For now, think of me as the "forum updater" and providing points of interest, as well as proofreading SRT files whether it is good or not. (I am not saying that I am the "Big Boss" here, everyone gets to do what they want, and what they can.)

On a positive note, however, the first episode of Castlevania (Episode 79) is almost done, just haven't had the time to work on it. I'll update the forum for it.

Juanako25 wrote:Since I see you guys organizing yourselves so well about when to send me your SRT files, I just thought I'd point out that I received the subs for the Battletoads episode written by a Canadian under the name Yannick Martin. Is he someone you know? Are the subs approved to be sent in this week's bundle?

Juan, can we get ahold of him? His email, preferably? Or did someone else do that already? It would be nice to get ahold of him and tell him to go back on the forum, he signed up here already.

The same with a guy named "Mariofana", he did a translation on Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest. Not sure if he got ahold of Mike or Juan, but it would be nice if we could get him on board as well.

Where is Gaucelm and Rocko anyways? :O (I think Rocko had school or something, not 100% sure though.)

François C wrote:Salut la compagnie,

I'm a 34 year old Belgian guy (French is my mother tongue, not Dutch). I'm very good at spelling, grammar and such and I'm equally good at understanding English, having lived in Scotland and Australia for a while.

I gotta say I am fond of the Nerd's colorful language and imaginative profanity. :-)
I really like his game reviews (can't wait to watch the movie !!) and would be happy to contribute subs to help French-speakers with limited understanding of English enjoy them. :-D
I can also proofread already submitted subs.

The downside is that I kind of suck at efficiently using computer programs, not being a geek in the least ; but I'm sure with some minor guidance I'll be able to do James' tests justice.

I haven't yet read all the previously posted comments in this thread (it's 2.30 AM here and I'm going to go to bed soon). I'll get my Belgian ass back here asap tomorrow and try to familiarize myself as to how you guys are willing to proceed with regards to subbing tests... that is if I don't decide to go have a look downtown for the launch of this year's Tour de France, since I live in Liège.

A la prochaine
François

Welcome aboard François! As previously mentioned by coolman and BrendaLama, use VisualSub Sync for the subtitles and stuff. Just post here on what episode you are doing by looking at the list in the first post.

If you have other people who could help out, it would be greatly appreciated. (This goes out for everyone.)

Alex

PS. This goes out to Juan, but maybe we could ask Mike and/or James to make a Youtube video telling viewers that, as a community, are making translations for the rest of the AVGN community, and as well, telling viewers to "If you want to help out, join the fun.", because I am seeing that a quarter of the languages posted on this forum so far aren't getting much attention at the moment. :S, thought I'd let you know.

TechGuy691

Back to top Go down

Post  Juanako25 Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:56 am

@TechGuy691

I just sent you a PM with Yanick's e-mail address. I take it then that I should NOT send his subtitles to Mike in tomorrow's bundle?

About what you suggest in the PD, personally I don't find it such a bad idea. I'm only concerned that we might go from one extreme to the other, that is, from being just a handful of people per language to having dozens of people wanting to help and it becoming chaotic.

Though I admit it'd be nice for the feature itself to get some publicity, as I gather lots of people still have CC switched off by default and won't even notice there are subtitles available in multiple languages.

Juanako25

Back to top Go down

Post  cobaltnightsky Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:48 am

@François: welcome on board!
for the subs, it's really not complicated, there are a few things to be aware of (not convenient and some steps to achieve but no big deal).

@TechGuy: I have finished episode 74 (plumbers don't wear ties), it's already uploaded on the shared Gdrive, you can have a look. BrendaLama already did.
Edit: I think we should write the process in the first post, once we all approved it. If people join, they could simply refer to it. I can write a tutorial for syncing videos, Coolman756 helps me on that (working with VisualSubSync) and he shared lots of valuable information for it.
Also, I took the "pitfall Harry" for translation, can you update the list ? Wink Thanks!

@juanako: I do agree that a team made of a few people would be more efficient than a lot of them not organized: I was thinking in the overall workflow proposed by Coolman756. Not impossible, of course, but I was just wondering if we could achieve it efficiently, that's all Wink

I do not mind doing it this way (for instance, I can proofread at work , but I can't time or sync videos, I need to be home).

I guess we are in the phase of adaptation, to know how we are going to organize. Once this solved, we will be certainly more effective.

cobaltnightsky

Back to top Go down

Post  coolman756 Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:54 am

TechGuy691 wrote:The same with a guy named "Mariofana", he did a translation on Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest. Not sure if he got ahold of Mike or Juan, but it would be nice if we could get him on board as well.

Sorry, should have told you about it, I totally forgot. I contacted him 3 days ago on his YouTube channel (it's "mariofana", wasn't hard to find) telling him that we were a little bit bothered by the fact that he submitted subtitles since we already have an "official" translation team and kindly asking him that he were intending to continue, he should join us. He replied that he understands and said that he would take a look at the forums. Nothing since then.

coolman756

Back to top Go down

French Subs - Page 3 Empty Newbie, here!

Post  Edjemaster Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:30 am

Bonjour à tous!
I only saw the topic about subs yesterday before going to bed, so, sorry if I join the team a bit late! I'm 29, I live in Québec and I'd love to join this project because the AVGN is just so awesome, I think we all agree!
I see that a lot of people use VisualSubSync for subs and indeed, it does look easy to use, but my main question concerning that would be : do you need to download the video from youtube to use it? and if so, how do you do that?I'd like to join coolman in doing them in order and I'll go with McKids.

Also, could anyone tell me, in a nutshell (or a PM) how to send the .srt and all that? Just don't feel like browsing those 5 pages... I also already know about the subtitle conventions (35 char and 2 lines max, etc.).

Thanks for the answers and I'm real glad to join the team!

Patrick

(btw, will we have to sub the rest of cinemassacre after we're done with these?)

Edjemaster

Back to top Go down

Post  coolman756 Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:47 am

Hello!

Yes, you have to download the video in order to use it. I personnally use keepvid for that (it's online, all you need is Java) and download them as a mp4 file but then I have to convert them to wmv or avi because VSS doesn't support mp4, so use whatever you want.

About how to send srts: we're using Google Drive. Just send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll give you the rights to access our common folder.

As for subtitling the entire Cinemassacre filmography, yup, I'm all for that, but maybe not everyone here because it's gonna take a lot of time.

coolman756

Back to top Go down

Post  cobaltnightsky Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:38 pm

guys, just thinking of something

I think everybody wants to make clean SRT like we would like to see for a regular avi/mkv/... file.
however, the way youtube handles subtitle is different. I am not even talking about the italic or whatever, but the format itself.

for instance, I have a few sentences on 2 distinguished line because it make sens (2 caracters talking). But this is screwed up on youtube as it's displayed on a single line.

does anyone know if we should follow the "SRT way" (the clean regular way) or the "Youtube way" (one line, whatever it is) ?

I may have missed this information Embarassed

so far, I did a clean SRT (32/35 caracters or 2 lines, italic, etc...) , but taking a look at the italien translations, it's not the most adapted for youtube. At least for the time being, if youtube decide to adjust this, there is no more question to be asked.

But right now, I am wondering confused

By the way, was this video SRT proofread??
[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

cobaltnightsky

Back to top Go down

Post  coolman756 Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:47 pm

I don't know what you're talking about, YouTube handles srt files perfectly fine, besides from the fact that it doesn't support tags (italic, bold etc.). I even uploaded one of the episodes on my YouTube channel and added my own subtitles to see if everything was okay, it kept the exact same line disposal. As for the tags, I think we should use them as we make the subtitles, to have a "regular" version, but take these off when submitting them. So, if ever YouTube can handle those tags, we could send the "regular" version.

And no those subtitles aren't proofread, and they have major flaws, which I stated on the first page. They're made by Yannick Martin, the person who posted on the thread's first page. We need to contact him...

coolman756

Back to top Go down

Post  BrendaLama Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:58 pm

Do anyboby have Yannick Martin's email ? Obviously he doesn't visit the forum very often,it might be useless to end him a PM
BrendaLama
BrendaLama

Back to top Go down

Post  TechGuy691 Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:02 pm

cobaltnightsky wrote:@François: welcome on board!
for the subs, it's really not complicated, there are a few things to be aware of (not convenient and some steps to achieve but no big deal).

@TechGuy: I have finished episode 74 (plumbers don't wear ties), it's already uploaded on the shared Gdrive, you can have a look. BrendaLama already did.
Edit: I think we should write the process in the first post, once we all approved it. If people join, they could simply refer to it. I can write a tutorial for syncing videos, Coolman756 helps me on that (working with VisualSubSync) and he shared lots of valuable information for it.
Also, I took the "pitfall Harry" for translation, can you update the list ? Wink Thanks!

@juanako: I do agree that a team made of a few people would be more efficient than a lot of them not organized: I was thinking in the overall workflow proposed by Coolman756. Not impossible, of course, but I was just wondering if we could achieve it efficiently, that's all Wink

I do not mind doing it this way (for instance, I can proofread at work , but I can't time or sync videos, I need to be home).

I guess we are in the phase of adaptation, to know how we are going to organize. Once this solved, we will be certainly more effective.

Yeah, slight problem with that: I got locked out again, no access. :S.

I sent both of you my email (cobalt and coolman) via PM.

And, forum is updated: Plumbers is done, and Pitfall Harry is "in progress". I might provide episode links in the first post, to provide ease of access, but I don't have the time atm.

@BrendaLama, I got his email from Juan earlier this morning, he doesn't want to post it on here for "obvious reasons".

Alex

TechGuy691

Back to top Go down

Post  cobaltnightsky Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:03 pm

I know youtube accepts the SRT just fine, but it is slightly different from a regular SRT read from VLC, for instance

firstly, Youtube read them on a single line: that means that if you need to write on distinguished 2 lines, it's just flattened to a single one in youtube?
This might not be too troublesome, but in some cases, that can be annoying.

So I was asking to take it into consideration, or not.

Secondly, as you mentionned, Youtube does not handle (yet?) italic and bold (or others if any). So is there any points in putting italic and bold since they do not render?

That's why I was asking if we should use Youtube limitation in consideration and NOT putting 2 distinguished lines and Italic/bold, or if youtube will fix that so we can use clean SRT nicely as VLC would do with a regular .srt?

@Alex: thanks for the update. What do you mean for "obvious reason"? Did he already send his SRT for Battletoads, visible right now? I am not very happy with the SRT Sad

cobaltnightsky

Back to top Go down

Post  TechGuy691 Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:08 pm

cobaltnightsky wrote: @Alex: thanks for the update. What do you mean for "obvious reason"? Did he already send his SRT for Battletoads, visible right now? I am not very happy with the SRT Sad

Juan would rather not post the email on here, for privacy reasons, that is what I meant. I'll send you three the emails. (cobalt, coolman, and BrendaLama)

Sorry for the confusion! Razz

Alex

TechGuy691

Back to top Go down

Post  cobaltnightsky Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:11 pm

ah, ok Cool
sorry, tired, bunch of things to do. No worries, I have all these emails address Smile

By the way coolman, sorry if I was not clear, I am overburden nowadays (talking about my work, not the SRT project) and very tired

cobaltnightsky

Back to top Go down

Post  BrendaLama Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:16 pm

Okay, I'll check it out Like a Star @ heaven

(By the way,has anybody proofread the srt of the episode 9 I did yesterday ? )

I wish you courage if you are all tired Smile
BrendaLama
BrendaLama

Back to top Go down

Post  TechGuy691 Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:18 pm

BrendaLama wrote:Okay, I'll check it out Like a Star @ heaven

Wait, you did Episode 9?

*looks back*

Shit, I missed that post Razz

Forum updated.

Alex

TechGuy691

Back to top Go down

Post  cobaltnightsky Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:47 pm

BrendaLama wrote:Okay, I'll check it out Like a Star @ heaven

I'm about to do it Wink

EDIT: ok, done, I will send you an e-mail in a couple of minutes

cobaltnightsky

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next