AVGN Subs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some minor things

+5
tomas
coolman756
Juanako25
metalcommand
Lafar
9 posters

Go down

Some minor things Empty Some minor things

Post  Lafar Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:22 am

Hello there! It's great to see you guys here, nice little forum (I'm just glad that it's phpBB3 and not some cheap, lesser known script). Here are some things that are on my mind and I would like you to comment on. Just share your thoughts about it and maybe together we will come up with some more ideas.

1) In E-mail to Mike Matei Junako25 said that he will take all subs and send them to Mike in one package. That's cool but I still think to we need to post all subs somewhere here on the forum. I'm in the progress of making Cinemassacre's videos master list which, long story short, will be a list of all movies on CM. It will be splitted into categories, easy to edit and for everybody to copy it into their own 'language topics'. HOWEVER, if you don't like the idea of editing the code I think that we can work something out with Junako25 and after sending me the list of already translated episodes I will edit it for all available languages.
Oh, and more thing - Yes, I know that Mike said that we should focus mainly on gaming videos BUT the master list will be a great reference for future translations AND I think that anybody who wants to make subs for something else can do it.

2) Sometimes the game (or a movie) AVGN talks about is released in your country. Sometimes its title is even translated. That begs the question - should we, that means translators, translate the titles or leave it as they are? I'm all for leaving them all in English or doing it this way: When title appears for the first time in the video you insert you translation into brackets like this 'Castelvania 2: Simon's Quest (*title translation here*).

3) Another basic thing - what, apart from the text, should be included in the subtitles? In my opinion: a link to cinemassacre's website and name of the translator. MAYBE some info about where to go if someone wants to translate CMs stuff.

4) Top logo. I think that we need to change it. If you have any ideas how it should look like you can post it here. (and, in my opinion, it's logo or the text - not both) It's great that Moto200 took time to make this one but I know that he (and we) can do better Wink

5) More categories on the forum. Like I said in the comment section on CMs site it would be great to create a subforum with section for each languages and make moderators for each section to keep it clear (basically same thing that Junako said in Forum layout). What's more we will need some offtopic areas where we can socialize and talk about random stuff. Next on the list would be subforum for organizational stuff like forum rules...

6) Forum rules. Let's be honest, every forum needs that. Our rules should be flexible and clearly state that what we are doing is a non-profitable job made by fans for fans. Going back to 'flexible' - we can't abolish swearing entirely because of all the swearing that AVGN uses but we should restrict using them without any particular reason.

7) Last but not least: English subs. I'm already in the process of making Castelvania 2: Simon's Quest subs (got all the text down, now I need to make SRT from this) but we will need more. I think that it should be a priority for us - with English subs we would have a great reference for our translation and it would certainly sped up the process of translating the episodes.

Uff, that's all folks. Again, it's great to be here. Let's make this the most successful fan project on the internet!

Lafar

Back to top Go down

Some minor things Empty Re: Some minor things

Post  metalcommand Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:57 am

About point 1: I'll send all the subs when I'm done to Junako25. It's way easier for Mike. I'm not really in the mood for edititing all my stuff, since I'm not really great at editing and stuff Shocked

About point 2: I always leave the title in English with capital letters. That's common for Dutch subtitles. I translate Dollars into euros, though.

About point 3: I always show my name in the subs at the beginning. The website/forum etc. can be edited in at the end, as some kind of 'credit roll'.

About point 4: I don't think it's the main point, but I get the idea. Right now, we should focus on bringing the subs together and actually sub some episodes Wink

About point 5: The socialize topic is closed for everyone except the admin. That's a shame.

About point 6: At this point, I think all the subbers here are great people who can abide by the basic rules on a forum. But indeed, for future users it's mandatory that there are some forum rules.

About point 7: Great idea Wink

metalcommand

Back to top Go down

Post  Juanako25 Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:25 am

As I said, I'll be sending all the subs files in bundles to Mike Matei once a week. This will make life easier for him, because I can label everything in a consistent way and he also receives everything in one go and from one person. He's agreed to that and finds it a good way to work with.

That said, I'm ok with, every week, after I send the bundle, I make a ZIP/RAR file with everything I've sent him and I upload it to Mediafire and give you all the link somewhere in the forum. Does that sound like a plan?

Juanako25

Back to top Go down

Post  Lafar Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:36 am

@Junako25 That sounds great. I never got anything against sending it in bundles to Mike, it's a neat idea. It is easier for him. It's just that there are people who might want only srt files (for a DVD maybe) and downloading them from a yt video might be difficult. I think I will try to manage the lists myself as, like metalcommand said, not everybody wants to swim through the code. Those lists will be more for us than anyone else, and they will be updated each week after you will release subs pack.

Lafar

Back to top Go down

Post  coolman756 Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:45 am

1) Totally agree.

2) We should be using the official foreigner title of the game/movie in any case, without translating it if it's not different from the original one, except if needed to understand a joke or something.

3) Putting links and information in it would be unprofessional. That can be put in the video description, but not in the subtitles. That's just weird. What should be put in the subtitles besides the actual translation are the names/nicknames from the subtitlers. Usually (for movie subtitles), it's put at the very end (I prefer to do so) but you can also put them in the beginning if you want to.

4) I'll see what I can do. I make good stuff from time to time, when I'm inspired.

5) Exactly, one thread per language just isn't enough... it would be more like one thread per episode.

6) Agreed.

7) Great idea. Although the timing can't always be exactly kept when translating into another language (some sentences have to be completely rephrased), it would be of a great help. I suggest you to use this for the first episodes: avgn.wikia.com/wiki/Transcripts_of_Angry_Video_Game_Nerd_episodes (copy paste the link, new members can't post links so I had to cut the http part).

coolman756

Back to top Go down

Post  tomas Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:54 am

4) At the beginning of this forum only three people where on it. Back then I had subcategories for each language but it was requested that I took those away since it where predicted that only 2 - 3 people where going to contribute to each language and an entire subcategory would be too much.

Now when more people are joining up perhaps the idea of subforums where to be considered. At least in the chases where people request it. If you feel like your language thread is flooding over and there's several people in that same thread. Maybe I could open up one subcategory at a time whenever someone needs it.

tomas
Admin

https://avgnsubs.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Moto200 Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:19 pm

1. I agree.

2. Here in Poland, translations of console video games began at the end of the last decade and are still not a common practice. I don't think the Nerd has ever reviewed a game which had its title changed in Poland, so I'm going to leave the original titles. I apply Polish grammatical rules to them, so they blend in better, and this is also common in speech.
HOWEVER, movie titles and character names often have their counterparts in Polish. I do translate these.

3. I leave the subs clean and don't even include my name. I do this to increase immersion so that nobody is standing between the Nerd and the viewer. However, if this becomes a recommended practice on the forum, I will change that and update previous files as well.

4. So we had one banner for 12 hours and then this one for another 12 hours until another change is proposed... let's focus on the subs, maybe? Smile I think we've already made a big jump from the previous one (but I'm not stopping anyone, of course).

5. There's no need in case of the Polish translation right now, but if the change suits others, I would gladly use the benefit of having a distinct category and sharing it with the other Polish folk. I see how this would come in handy in the future.

6. My opinion - I think everyone's used a forum before. Respecting others is enough, and we don't have a problem with that.

7. Yep, that would be great.

You might say I'm a bit sceptical about change, but this forum was just created and I don't think we need to go overboard with organisation for now. We've got enough work with subs. I recognise the need to start organised and I'm in favour of the changes proposed, but I wouldn't look too far into the future. The most important aim of this forum was to avoid situations when two people would be working on the same video without knowledge about each other, and the way things are seem enough for this purpose. Having too much new stuff to read every day would be an inconvenience to people who simply want to follow their translation schedule.

Long story short - I agree with everyone here, but I propose we only respond to demand for the initial weeks of operation.

Moto200

Back to top Go down

Post  Lafar Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:09 pm

I know that things I talked about in the first post are not so important, hence the name of the topic, but if we will think about and do them now we will have everything up and ready Wink I know that the subs are the most important thing but come on - it's not like we have some deadlines, if we want to do that right we need to spend some time on it.

Lafar

Back to top Go down

Post  Codo Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:48 am

ad7: signed. There are english subtitles in the yt-videos. So maybe someone can ask Mike to give us a copy...?

Codo

Back to top Go down

Post  Lafar Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:07 am

@Codo

Have you checked English subs on those videos? They're not accurate and made by Youtube thingy available in CC button (at least that's the case with videos that I've checked)
Example:
What Nerd says:
So I'm about to review Die Hard on Nintendo
Subs in the video:
So I've got to read uh... I call her on the table

That's pretty funny actually Very Happy

Lafar

Back to top Go down

Post  Codo Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:11 am

Yes... Just looked at them and wanted to edit my post. Seems that yt tries to automatically generate subs... That is indeed sometimes funny (but unfortunately not helpful)

I try to upload english subs of the episodes i'll do, as soon I can actually link to something here... They should have proper timing, but I have to see, how they really work on yt.

Codo

Back to top Go down

Post  burbman Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:04 pm

1 - Awesome idea. Is it ready yet? Wink

2 - On the title screen, I plan on keeping the original English name, and a translation in brackets (literal translation, cause we don't have "official translations" for games) . The rest of the video, obviously I'll only write the English name, transliterated if I have no other choice or if that transliterated name is common.

3 - Just the title, and the subber's name\nickname. if there's visual stuff to translate, (like an important sentence that's on-screen) that too.

4 - I personally don't mind that.

5 - Could be nice.

6 - Just "no spam" rule. everything else would just be... tedious.

7 - Yeah, I guess you're right. It's really easy to do, and will help making the subbing of other languages much easier.

burbman

Back to top Go down

Post  UnknownD Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:34 am

Hey everybody. Nice to meet AVGN-Fans from around the world Wink This could be the greatest international cooperation in the world - almost XD
No, seriously: This kind of cooperation is really great.

1)
Mh, I don't know. As Mike, I focus on the AVGN-subtitles.
Maybe later - when all the work is done - I will talk about this later.

2)
Mostly it is not necessary to translate the game title itself. But sometimes the Nerd refers to the title somehow and make a joke, which is hard to understand if you don't know the translation of the title.
So, in my opinion it depends on what the Nerd makes with the title if he does.

Well, and I don't translate Dollar into Euro Wink
But I would translate "feet" into "meters".

3)
My name appears right at the beginning for about 3 or 4 seconds ("Subtitle von UnknownD"). This is okay, I think.
A link to the past... erm... A link to cinemassacre.com is that important, I think. Either you are on youtube.com and see the link in the description or you are on cinemassacre.com anyway.

4)
Phew, okay. This is just for fun, right? ^^
This forum does not have to be that great and nice and pretty and beautiful. It is more a functional forum.
But of course, there is nothing to be said against it, so make this forum colorful Very Happy
Really, I don't care how the forum looks like, as long as it doesn't look like food which took the wrong way outside, I don't know. ^^'

5)
Yes, why not? I'm in favor of it.

6)
Mh, okay.
I don't know. Forum rules are so absolutely clear to every common sense. Just little loud, noisy, annoying, awful, little children needs them.
Well, no spam, no racism, no offense, no nudity, no illegal stuff and so on. This must be clear to everybody.
But it would not be amiss. Let's have rules.
In this case, refering to point 5, we could need moderators, at least one for every language.

7)
http://avgn.wikia.com/wiki/Transcripts_of_Angry_Video_Game_Nerd_episodes

Every single episode is written down there. (Not every episode is linked on this page, but you can look for them if you need a certain episode.)
Coolman756 already mentioned it but I guess you maybe did not see it.
UnknownD
UnknownD

Back to top Go down

Post  Lafar Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:31 pm

1. Again and again:
Lafar wrote:
Oh, and more thing - Yes, I know that Mike said that we should focus mainly on gaming videos BUT the master list will be a great reference for future translations AND I think that anybody who wants to make subs for something else can do it.

I have the code for ALL videos master list but it appears to be too long for this forum. You can see sample of it in English Subs topic. If anyone wants the full code, I can provide it.
4. Again: I know that the logo is not the most important thing in the world and I don't mind the overall layout of the forum - it suits our needs. The problem is: 1. It's either text or png/jpg in the top section of the site - not both 2. If we can improve on it - why not.
Someone said that he/she will do a new logo, but we haven't heard from him/her ever since. Here's my proposition:
Some minor things Avgnsubs1
It can be changed - the size is too big and maybe the subtext should tell something else than 'Translators' forum'. It's a transparent png, so parts of it are transparent and the whole thing will present itself different against black background (that's why the font is white)

5. I've started a poll about this: check it here.

Lafar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum